If you are interested in learning in a hands-on way, I am happy to hold a workshop.
In such a workshop you will learn:
- how to make Koji, the essential component of miso, soy sauce, amazake and saké.
- why Koji is essential in these foods, and what is going on when miso is fermenting and why it tastes the way it does.
- about the different ways you could design your own incubation box.
- how to decide what ratios of rice Koji (or barley Koji) to boiled chickpeas (or soybeans) to use, how to calculate the amount of salt you will need.
- how to avoid mold growing on your miso when it is fermenting.
- how to make soy sauce.
- We will make a miso together with rice or barley Koji that I will bring.
- We will also taste a few misos of mine (ranging from traditional to experimental)
- Depending on whether an incubation box is already available, we will also start a fresh batch of Koji
If you are interested, please contact me for rates and the discussion of details.
Or alternatively, you can sign up to this newsletter to get notifications about new workshop dates: